What do you think?

I'd appreciate some feedback...so please use the comment section after each blog if you feel led to do so.

Monday 16 June 2014

What can I do when my faith is weak?


“A bruised reed he will not break,
and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he has brought justice through to victory.”
(Matthew 12:20 - New International Version)

I know, without a doubt in my heart, that there is a God, that Jesus died and was resurrected and that the Holy Spirit is real. So, why do I sometimes feel weak in my faith? Unfortunately my brain and my feelings often get the better of me.

FACT: I've experienced God.

It was not a delusion, it was not a hallucination, there was no brainwashing or anything of that sort involved. I like to think that I am intelligent enough to know whether or not I am being manipulated, and in fact have recognised this in the past and walked away from a church which was guilty of just that sort of immoral practice.

I’m going through the doldrums right now in my faith, struggling with feeling God’s presence. Only a couple of months ago I was on a peak as high as a mountain, yet have dropped down unexpectedly and seemingly without rhyme or reason.

It’s taken a while for me to get to a place where I have not only recognized this, but am able to do something about it...but what exactly can I do?

Fortunately Jesus and the Apostles were only too aware that the Christian life is a struggle, faith can sometimes wax and wane and they left some instructions and encouragement.

What should I do when my faith becomes weak?

“He remembered our utter weakness, for his loving-kindness continues forever.”
(Psalm 136:23 - Living Bible)


One of the first things to do is pray. It is the simplest and most obvious thing to do, yet
often our last resort. We humans seem so determined to mine our own limited resources first, despite knowing that they are not enough, before turning to the inexhaustible power of Jesus. Jesus clearly tells us that if we believe, we can do anything and that He can help us to overcome our doubts and weakness.

‘“If you can”?’ said Jesus. ‘Everything is possible for one who believes.’
Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!’
(Mark 9:23-24 - New International Version)

You may think to yourself, like I have, that it would have been much easier to have a consistently strong faith if you were with Jesus during his time on Earth, but we see in the Bible that the Apostles regularly needed a boost in their personal faith. You only need to look at the time when Peter, the rock on whom the church as built, denied knowing Jesus THREE TIMES, to realize that even the strongest faith can find itself wanting.

“The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
Luke 17:5 - (New International Version)

If the Apostles needed Jesus’ help to strengthen their faith, then there is no shame in us acknowledging that we are weak and that we need Jesus to help us too. Therefore pray, speak to Jesus, ask for an increase in faith. He will deliver it.

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being.”
Ephesians 3:16 - (New International Version)

Reading the Bible and studying the Word of God is another way of making sure your faith regains its previous vigour. Reading about all the amazing things that God has done and the miracles that Jesus did can remind you why you chose to follow Him in the first place.

“Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.”
Romans 10:17 – (New International Version)

Another part of the message of Romans 10:17 is about making sure that you get to church, so you can hear His words and have their meaning explained to you by your pastor, priest or preacher. Sometimes the Bible can be tricky to study, so having someone explain it to you can be a real blessing in times of struggle.

“From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.”
(Ephesians 4:16 - New International Version)

Often when your faith is weak you feel a little oversensitive about it. I sometimes feel that people at church will be able to look at me and see horns growing out of my head, or equally ridiculous things. The temptation then is to avoid spending time with other Christians, but in fact the exact opposite is what you need to do when your faith is weak. Being part of some form of mid-week group is a real boost, as church and Christianity is not just about going along on a Sunday to sing and listen.

You aren't the first, you won’t be the last, but it isn't the end.

Something else to remember is that we are not alone in our feelings of weakness and inadequacy. The Bible is quite literally lettered with examples of those who we usually consider to be the strongest in their faith, who clearly experienced God or even walked physically alongside Jesus, showing their weakness.

Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden in the presence of God – they were weak.

Abraham was guilty of telling lies.

Joseph killed an Egyptian when overcome by his temper.

Moses didn’t feel able to speak for God and quite literally had to be given a staff to lean upon.

David was overcome by lustful temptation, leading to committing adultery.

Elijah got depressed and wanted to die.

Jonah was disobedient and ran away.

Peter was afraid and denied he knew Jesus, just as foretold, despite saying he would never do so.

Despite their weaknesses God used them, He never abandoned them, and through them He did amazing things. God will never abandon any of us, despite our weakness, and he can do amazing things through us too.

Now to take note of all of this and ask Jesus to strengthen MY faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment